My Sweet Corn and Avocado Salad is a refreshing summer salad, and a perfect side dish to compliment barbecued mains. It has balanced sweetness from the corn, richness from the avocado, and bright, tangy flavors from the lime juice and red onion.
It’s the perfect compliment to any summer barbecue main dish, especially my Wood Smoked Beef Brisket. Click the link for the complete recipe and high definition video.
High Definition Video Presented Here:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Serves: 6 – 8
- 2 x 12oz cans or 6 cobs of sweet corn, husk removed
- 2 large avocados, ripe and cubed into 1/2″ (1 cm) pieces
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 sprig of oregano leaves, stalk removed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped parsley leaves OR cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup quality salsa
- 1 red chili, seeds removed and finely diced
- 2-3 pinches of sea salt
- Drain corn kernels from can or soak fresh sweet corn in water for 30 minutes (with husk on) and grill on all sides until husk is blackened. Remove corn from grill and remove husk, and slice the kernels off the cob with a knife into a large serving bowl
- Mix remaining ingredients and serve individual portions
Note; this salad actually tastes better when left refrigerated overnight, as the lime juice incorporates into the ingredients and the citrus flavors are allowed to mesh. You can absolutely make this a day in advance before serving.
Credit: Special thanks to Sobeys ‘Inspired’ magazine for the inspiration for this dish.