I’ve taken some of my favorite flavors of the Mediterranean and created this warm quinoa salad recipe, featuring the best of what the Mediterranean has to offer — olives, capers, sun-dried tomatoes and served it with lemon dressing.
Quinoa is amazing. It is actually a seed, high in protein, gluten-free, easy to digest, and quick to cook. It can be used much like rice or couscous, and the process of cooking quinoa is very similar to that of cooking couscous. Click the link for the complete recipe and High Definition instructional video on how to make this healthy and nutritious quinoa salad.
High Definition Cooking Video Presented Here on How to Make Quinoa Salad:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 350 ml of Quinoa
- 700 ml of Chicken Broth
- 1 cup of dried mushrooms (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of sun dried tomatoes
- 1 cup of grape (aka cherry) tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of green or black olives
- 1/2 cup of capers
- 1/2 cup of roasted red peppers
- 1 small (1/2 large) shallot, very thinly sliced
- Zest and juice of 1 large yellow lemon
- 1/4 cup of olive oil or sun-dried tomato oil
- 1 cup of feta cheese, cubed (optional)
- Chopped green onions (scallions)
- In a sauce pan, add the chicken stock, quinoa, mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a low heat. Cover pot with lid, and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes of cooking, add grape tomatoes, olives, capers, roasted red peppers and shallots to the pot. Replace lid and simmer on low for another 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, take the lemon zest and juice and add them to a small bowl. Add the olive or sun dried tomato oil and whisk together to make a lemon dressing for the quinoa salad
- Remove the pot from heat, and mix the contents well so that the quinoa is light and fluffy. Transfer the quinoa to a serving bowl. Optionally, also consider adding some cubed feta cheese at this point.
- Pour the lemon dressing on the quinoa and mix together. You can serve this warm (as is) or chill in the refrigerator for several hours before serving
- Serve into individual bowl, and garnish with green onions
Important Seasoning note: The capers, olives, and the optional feta cheese all contain plenty of salt. Be sure to rinse them with tap water before adding to this dish, as they contain a lot of sodium. Do not add salt or additional seasoning to this salad until all the ingredients have been added, or you may over-season the dish. Add pepper as desired.